Saturday, February 19, 2011

Do what you love, and love what you do.

That past 2 Friday's I have been teaching full days of Agility classes - I'm talking 12 hour days, 2 hours of driving each way to teach 8 or 9 hours straight. It is amazing. I have never had time go so fast in my life. I love it.

I am working with a huge variety of dogs, people and skills. I love to troubleshoot and challenge people, and mostly I love to see when the lightbulb turns on and people "get it" and see results. We discuss the controversial "systems", people want to know my thoughts. While I do say I follow the ideas of the "Derrett" system, what I focus on mostly is consistency. I have a couple students focusing on Awesome Paws, I too, really like the theory behind that - I like to run with my dog and have them respond to my body. I want to make sure people know why they are doing what they are doing, and not just going through the motions because they think that is what they are "supposed" to do. I try to get the most out of the dog, and really try to get people to work together. I also believe body is the first language the dogs learn. I find people focus on using a verbal in replace of good handling, and then forget what their body is doing, and the dog gets confused. Then sometimes the verbal gets completely diluted because the dog isn't responding consistently, then the dog shuts down or just keeps taking what it is you didn't want then to take. "I do not believe in call-offs, I believe in good handling" Sarah 2:14 hehe

As I get older - I am getting wiser. I need to focus more on what I love, and not just what pays the bills. I love design and creative direction, but I love animals more - I hope combine it all. I always see people who are passionate about what they do, and they live for their jobs or careers. I don't live for mine - I love it, and I am good at it, but I don't live for it. It has always been my dream to work with Animals, and still use my creative and overly analytical brain, and I hope in the next few years I can turn my focus on that, and have it all.

I am taking baby steps in that direction, and THAT gets me excited :)

4 comments:

Jenilee said...

Yee haw! I love it, all of it...good for you!!! Plus Neena and I are hoping to get in on your Friday sessions when we move to Cowtown;) lol!

D.K. Wall said...

Sounds terrific and is a great philosophy.

manymuddypaws said...

:)

good for you sarah.

andrea said...

great motto to live by :)
so glad you are having a good time