Friday, June 3, 2011

The final countdown ...

6 weeks ago I wasn't sure I would be running in Regionals. I had to send in my entry not knowing - the entry closed only 4 weeks after my surgery - I also didn't know if I would be running Gyp. I am the type of person that if you tell me I can't do something, I will work 10x as hard to do it. It's just the way I roll ... ya living that way has it's flaws, but I just don't like to fail.

So here we are one week until Regionals ... I am running, I can easily get around a course - last weekend was awesome, it felt great to be running at the Agility trial. My knee is still healing but I can deal with it. It actually feels it's best when I am moving. Sitting around causes it to get stiff. Bar-knee will be accompanying me, and he is awesome.

The field that Regionals is being held on is the place where I first blew my knee playing rugby in College. I am not sure how I feel about that. Again - I feel like it is for a reason - I need to overcome my fear of something bad happening there, because it did before. I will be fine as long as Amanda doesn't wear a yellow striped Rugby shirt chasing me down the field trying to tackle me :)

Gyp is doing well, this whole month has been about getting back into Agility while maintaining her regular conditioning schedule, and making sure there are no flare-ups, and so far so good - I haven't been blogging about it, because well, shocking - but I don't blog about EVERYTHING. Somethings I like and NEED to keep to myself. We've been training, and she hasn't really missed a beat. I am lucky she is the kind of dog that does well with a break - and always keep a level head ... and she doesn't forget a thing - which in this case is good - but in the case of fishing rods, fly swatters, guitars and kites ... not so good, she also remembers those things as WIERD and scary as hell.

K is running great, and I am SOOOO looking forward to running him - it was one year ago, to almost the day that he Torsioned and we nearly lost him. So last regionals that was fresh in my mind - and everyone was asking about him - which was hard. I was also running with my new knee brace 5 months after I tore my ACL and Meniscus ... so I just have to keep thinking I was able to overcome that last year.

Now I just need to get my mental game in the right place this year, I work best under pressure, but I have a lot of work to do, to get in the right headspace ... right now the discouraging thoughts are still lingering "We haven't trialed since September" "Is she really ready?" "Will I remember how to run her?" "I don't want to hurt her" "Can my knee handle it?" "Will someone in a rubgy shirt chase me down the field to tackle me?"

I have a week to get my mind games under control, Kaleb is doing some light training ... and Gyp has one more check-up before the big event ...

And, well I bought some new shoes ... so that always makes me feel better .. and run faster :)

2 comments:

manymuddypaws said...

wow, those are really pink. lol

you will be awesome. your knee will hold up, kaleb is better than ever, and you will know if Gyp is ready or not.

as you said gyp doesn't forget. Even the little things you've done building up to this she hasn't acted any differently than if you had been training and trialing for the last five months. My bet is that she will be faster than ever because she's excited to be playing again.

it's not like the dog has sat around for five months doing nothing and then you are throwing her back into a trial. You have done the rehab, the conditioning, as you said she is stronger than ever. (actually I predicted that five months ago when this first happened...)

oh, and I promise not to wear a striped rugby shirt. :)

Judy said...

COOOOL shoes Sarah! I know you, Gyp and Kaleb will dowell because nobody knows you and your dogs like you do...and the shoes look like they will support you