Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Check-up day ...


zoom zoom Gyppie, originally uploaded by sarah ....

Gyp is going for her 2 week re-check today with Dr. Devall - she will have any adjustment she needs, acupuncture and some cold laser ... and we will see if there has been any improvement. We've been doing our exercises and her range of motion in the back left is getting better already, which I am thrilled about. Hopefully the Chinese Herbs and massage have been helping too. She gets massage twice a day and does her exercises twice a day also. I ice 2x10 minutes after her runs to help with any possible inflammation - I also ice my knee :)

We've been jogging everyday - making sure she is in an extended trot for a good 20 minutes. I run for about 5 -10 minutes then walk - the dogs stay in a more collected trot at that point, as we walk really fast to keep them in atleast a slow trot - so as not to pace or walk. Then we jog again. And repeat. Ya a treadmill has it's merits - but we would need two - one for me and one for her - I would feel guilty watching her do all the work. So we use nature's treadmill. Pete has been jogging her too if I am out teaching. But mostly we all go together - Pete, Kaleb me and Gyp. It's fun to do together and a good way to stay motivated. Jane stays at home and protects the property :)

I've only seen her funny movement a couple times, and near the end of our runs, when she is getting fatigued, extended trotting takes alot of energy as the dog has to use its body evenly on both sides. So I am hopeful she will make a good recovery. I have funny movement by the end of our runs too for that matter .... my knee swears at me, but bar-knee is awesome and I don't leave home without him .... Wow we sure are a team aren't we??

2 comments:

Diana said...

Wow, Im supprised she is allowed to trot. Here you are on stict rest for at least 6weeks. Only potty breaks with a leash. Im glad she si getting better. Diana

Sarah said...

Diana,

I have read that also - but she thinks staying moving - front and back movement, building more muscle rather than losing it - she can't do any off leash running, so the exercise is controlled -so twisting, abrupt stops etc - no fetching .... she has had 2 weeks off with very little anything before she was diagnosed as I was scared to do anything!!!

It makes sense to me as when I was in physio for my knee it was the same school of thought - stay active - I have seen improvement so I am happy about that .... that was Dr.s orders LOL