Thursday, August 14, 2008

Garbage Guts and travel stress ...


AKA ... Severe Bacterial Enteritis, that is what Kaleb has.

THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS GRAPHIC CONTENT.

Kaleb had really bad "runs" Monday and a but Sunday - even somewhat explosive, nice, and we travelled for a good part of the day Monday which was stressful.

I figured he was just tired Tuesday from the flight, so him and Gyp slept most of Tuesday, but when there was no poop to pick up in the yard Weds. AM I got suspicious. Around 1pm yesterday he barfed up what seemed to be his breakfast as well as his supper, a REALLY large amount of food, more than 1 meal.

Normally if he throws up, 10 minutes later he is back to his dork self, not this time.

I called the Vet, that said to make sure it does not get worse, call back in the AM, I made an appt just in case.

He would try to drink water, followed by throwing up, he was really uncomfortable, and would go lay in the pool - drink more water, then barf. He would pace, sit, stand and was really hunched and uncomfortable etc. want in the house, want out of the house. The first thing that came into my mind was bloat or a blockage.

But soon after this, he pooped, it was runny and the last bit was bloody.

I emptied the pool so he couldn't drink any more water. He was not himself. I called the Vet again, and we took him in afterhours around 6pm.

I also thought of Giardia (since K likes to drink water form wherever), the Giardia test has MANY false results, and often they have to take more than a couple samples to get results. This test came back NEGATIVE, but it is not ruled out as of yet.

His blood panel came back GREAT, and he was not dehydrated, but he has a ton of bacteria in his bloody stool, and he has lost around 4 pounds - he is 64 pounds. The vet thinks since Sunday/Monday was the first day of Diarrhea it probably took a few days for the bacteria to accumulate, and he more than likely it got bad due to a compromised immune system from the stress of travel. It could have ben from anything really, he had canned food, but I think it was something else, just a build up of everything. Gyp is fine.

I'm just glad K is OK, he got 2 shots to get his system back to normal - a Zantac shot and one for the Bacteria, and is on pills for week, so that should do the trick!

wow you sure know when your dog is sick, it is scary fro Kaleb not to be chipper. Even Pete was worried when he got home from work, and Pete usually thinks I am just over reacting!!!!

I have a nice relaxing evening with a glass of red wine :)

I think I have travel stress too ...

time to find out how much damage there is to my car today GULP. I still can't believe I hit a coyote, I thought it was a fox, but it was just a small coyote. We were just going over an overpass and veering to the left, and it came out of the ditch from the left, I didn't even have time to hit the brake. I also couldn't stop as we were heading over the overpass, and there was a semi not too far behind, I just hope it didn't suffer, but from the looks of my car, I don't think it even knew what hit it, poor thing.

I hit a deer once, but it lived as it ran into the side of my vehicle and I had slowed down because of one that ran across just before.

I also hit a gopher once, and I cried, silly I know, and if Pete is driving and I am in the car, he tries to avoid them, when I am not in the car, I am pretty sure he tries to hit them ....

2 comments:

onecollie said...

poor Kaleb!!! poor you!! I tend to "panick" when my dogs are ill, just can't help it!
For the record, I cry when I see any dead animal never mind hitting one, once I cried uncontrolably when I saw a hurt seagull in the middle of the road!

Kim said...

Poor Kaleb - I hope you are feeling better soon.