Thursday, November 13, 2008

A chip off the old, tooth.

Poor Janey, she chipped, let me re-phrase that, broke-off most of one of her front incisors last week. After seeing 3 vets and canceling one surgery appointment for another, we've made our choice.
I knew right away, that remains of the tooth needed to be removed because it is right down to the root - it bled when she broke it. She also might have to have a molar removed if it is too heavily damaged - both large molars are also very chipped, the one seemed soft when they were poking it with the silver poky thingy. They will know more when she is under.

How did I even notice this? She was having her breakfast - a raw Buffalo bone, and she broke it off while knawing on the bone, I put a dark towel on her dog bed while she eats this - and I saw a 'white thing" on the bed, it was her tooth!

3 out of 3 vets agree: Jane has the best teeth on a 9.5 year old dog, and a small dog too boot. She also got the comment that she is the best behaved Jack Russell they've seen (LOL).

The downside of all this, which has me worried beyond a rational person's common sense, she has a heart murmur, and it has gotten worse over the years. So there is a risk putting her under, but she is on great physical shape otherwise, so I just have to remember that. We are getting all the blood work done and every nook and cranny will be looked at to make sure it is safe for the surgery. We are also getting heart Xrays done to make sure there are no other physical signs of a weak heart. I trust our vet not to do anything that would jeopardize that. DEEP BREATH .....

open up and say ahhhhh ....

12 comments:

manymuddypaws said...

she will be okay. she's a tough one :o) but I know how stressful it can be! We'll be thinking of her tomorrow!

maybe you should have a drink or two for breakfast!

miradukesadie said...

How stressful!! Deep breathes. Maybe I can score you an ativan (Just kidding!!!!!). =) We will all keep our paws crossed here for a speedy recovery.

GeeRome said...

I'm sure she will be fine!! I know how stressful it is, Gio (the epileptic) had to go under for a tooth extraction a couple months ago. Nerve wracking all day long, but it all turned out well in the end. *crossed paws* over here for you both!!

And when she comes out of it, her and Gio (aka Gap Tooth) can be hilbilly buddies, as he is missing that same tooth!

onecollie said...

I know how you feel! Years ago my little mutt had an abcess & had to have dental surgery...he was 15 yrs old!!! I sat in the waiting room for the whole procedure. He came out just fine.
By the way, I have ativan!

Jules said...

Oh no!! I hope it goes smoothly.

Sarah said...

i will take anyone up on the offer for ativan!!!

her appointment is now NEXT Friday, so i have a WHOLE week to stress more and drink too much wine ....

Sarah said...

thanks for your comments and concerns i appreciate it :)

onecollie said...

you know where I work!!

miradukesadie said...

Ok I have to stop the unauthorized solicitation of drug use now! =) But if you need a dose recommendation you know where I am!

Amber-Mae said...

Ouch! That must have hurt pretty badly! Poor thing.

Back to my BOOGIEself,
Solid Gold Dancer

Cynthia Blue said...

Oh broken teeth are no fun. But they do happen... my Tatum came with a tooth missing. :)

Cynthia Blue said...

Ooo I see another collie person commenting here! But no blog on her profile... bummer!