Sunday, November 9, 2008

Trials and Tribulations (STUPID ARM)

I had G & K entered in three events at the one day trial yesterday.

K was entered in Gamblers, Standard and Snooker.
And Gyp was entered in 2 Standards and Gamblers.

They each brought home a Gamble leg:
Kaleb's 10th Masters Gamble (8th this year)!! and Gyp's 5th this year.

The two minis set up were very different - just like G & K's strength in skills...
Gyp did the mini twice with the distance teeter (20' turning away from the line) and a jump, and K did the mini twice with the tunnel and jump. Skills I need to strengthen in the G & K. K needs to be more confident on the teeter from a distance, and Gyp needs to become more of a tunnel sucker!

I was an interesting Gamble that many people thought was straight forward but it did catch quite a few people. 
- Popping the poles from a distance

- Either dogs pushed out past the first jump (1), landing long, or having raced to the first jump and not decelerating and cuing the turn to the weaves, and locking on the tunnel and missing the entry or taking the tunnel

- taking one of the off course jumps ahead of the poles

- sucking back into jump (1) out of the tunnel instead go ahead to (4)

- there might be more, but those are what I saw

* I  Handled it with an'out tunnel' for Kaleb - key work being tunnel - he'll f-nd one anywhere
* I used a  verbal "right, tunnel" for Gyp well after she exited the weaves, so as not to turn back into the weaves, or throw up my arm and send her ahead to one of the jumps, a timing issue.

I'm glad to see my 'skills' have improved this year as I've put more focus on to my directionals,  and by making my cuing system more accurate and clear for the dogs.  Which has been one of my BIGGEST goals. The distance isn't the problem, for me it's the timing, and the RUSHING - and my STUPID ARM, as well I didn't raise my voice for Gyp in excitement and just stayed calm, cool, and collected.

Back to the STUPID ARM ... I cost Gyp her 2 standard runs by lifting my arm and not powering ahead to the obstacle with enough confidence, something we are working hard on, I take that back, something I AM WORKING ON. She is responding correctly when I F*CK her up like that.

The first course I needed to decelerate and turn in to the poles, while holding her attention off the tunnel just ahead. Instead, I powered ahead, flailed my arm to cue the turn (bad idea) and BOOM she was in the tunnel. STUPID ARM. The course besides that moment was great, it felt really good, and I am getting so much better at not holding back, and just givin' er.

The second course THE STUPID ARM won again. Instead of powering ahead to the jump and cuing the rear cross with my body, the STUPID ARM came up and flicked her off a jump beside the one I was SUPPOSED to power too. Again, Gyp responded correctly. Again, besides that moment, I was sooooo happy with how she ran that course. She was great all day and super responsive, and she didn't have one weird moment of insecurity, I however still need some work on my confidence with Gyppie. Great dog, shame about the ... STUPID ARM, attached to the handler.

Here's to a GREAT 2009!


2 comments:

manymuddypaws said...

stupid arm. :o)

Jules said...

Hey, at least you are aware of the problem right? ;D