Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Did someone say A-G-I-L-I-T-Y?


Gyppie putting on her "feel sorry for me" face.

I am feeling a lot of relief today. Gyp's pad has made a super quick recovery. Looks like we are on track for the 2 week mark in healing, Thursday will be 2 weeks since the injury happened. Which leaves us 1 week to train before regionals. I'll take what I can get! 

She did nothing for the first 5 days - no walks, no fetch (still no fetch at this point), she did get depressed, I am pretty sure she was picking up on my stress and sadness.

Day 4 (i was traumatized and didn't take a photo until then) you can see it was swollen and the gash was pretty deep


 After the 5 days (still wearing a boot and vet wrapped foot), we started playing again (no fetch), going for short walks, practicing obedience etc. 

At the 1 week mark we started flatwork (Shadowhandling), and going for longer walks. Her foot was still seeping a bit, but it is part of the healing process, so I was still changing her bandage 2 or 3 times a day.

On day 9 I noticed the biggest change in the healing (foot still wrapped) we did some end behaviours on the contacts and some low jumps practicing her distance and directionals. We also worked 3 weave poles. We only worked for about 5 minutes in total.

Today is day 12!
Things are looking up, I will start to New-Skin her pad in the next couple days, but today  she is down to a bare paw in the house, and just a light wrapped paw when we go out today. I want to let it heal and toughen up on its own, and I am still being careful.

We are going to Agility class tonight, and I have a specific list to work on. Now that her pad is getting better, and I am not SO stressed about that.

... now I can start to stress about running my dogs at Regionals, in 10 days GULP :)

Day 12, the pad is back to a normal colour, and the gash has almost filled in (pads grow from the inside out)

Did someone say K-I-T-T-Y? 

.... Um no Gyp, I said A-G-I-L-I-T-Y!

(thanks everyone for all of the well wishes and happy healing thoughts for Gyppie, I really believe it helped)

6 comments:

manymuddypaws said...

the foot looks great!!! i told you so.

BordersOfInsanity said...

Yay Gyppie!!
Good luck in the regionals :)

Sarah said...

Amanda, i know, I know

you were RIGHT, but only this once.

Sweetpea said...

What a FACE. Too adorable for words!

onecollie said...

now that I see the cut I have to agree with you Sarah, I would have stressed too.....looks soooo much better now, I'm happy for you!!

gussysmom said...

That's the best kind of news. Take ten deep breathes! You're going to do great; the both of you.