Sunday, October 5, 2008

Hunting, Agility, Agility.

FRIDAY:
IN ATTENDANCE: Pete, Me and the dogs packed up to go for the first hunt of the year. I go along to make sure K is behaving .... On arrival, we took all the dogs out for a nice run and swim in the stink water, followed by a swim in the stink canal, followed by a hosing off when we got home (Jane had a full bath involving alot of shampoo)

Did someone say hunting!!??

Pete is 1 for 1 this season, and K is a happy boy with his first Partridge. I love seeing him work. He flushed 7 pheasants - which can't be hunted until the 15th and one group of partridge.
The bird dog with his itty bitty bird.

Jane got to come along on the hunt, she just be-bopped around, and didn't even get phased by the gun. She had fun rolling in stinky animal remains and poo. Gyp stayed in the car for the 1.5hr we were out, gunshots are not her thing, and I wasn't sure how Jane would be.
I always give Gyp a head start in the stink water, Kaleb won, as usual.

AGILITY DAY!!!!!

SATURDAY:
IN ATTENDANCE: Me, Gyp and Kaleb

2 Gambles, One standard. Kaleb needs games for his SIlver Award, and Gyp needs Standards for her Bronze.

Kaleb's first gamble was really good, but a missed contact on the final gamble cost us the Q.
His standard was really good - until yes another misses contact, but we challenged our self with about 30' of distance and layering the dogwalk up the last line which I was really proud of.

His last gamble was awesome. He was just givin' er, he ended up where I hoped then the whistle blew, and he nailed his gamble which inclued 20' distance to the weave poles.YAY! goal achieved, we got a game Q!

Gyppie
had great moments, and one bad moment, I still feel awful about it, it makes me sad.

Gamble 1, great opening, she had the 2nd most points. We got to the end gamble and I didn't have a great approach, so I tried to re-direct her, and I raised my voice too much "Gyp" - not too much for 99% of dogs, but too much for Gyp - louder than my talking voice and a harsh tone. She melted. This is our biggest issue - and it has now shown up twice in Gamblers when I need to re-direct - this being the second time. I've been working on re-directing and using my voice at home and at the field - but I have more work to do, and to transfer it to a trial setting. She recovers right away and will still tug and play afterwards which is good. No one sees that side of her - I get over excited in a gamble, and my adrenaline can get the best of me. 

My name is Sarah, and I am a gamble rusher. NOTE TO SELF: I need to take a deep breath, and not be so pushy with my re-directing. For Kaleb he needs me too be direct and to the point, and it works - I can re-direct him with no issue, same with Jane who is as equally soft as Gyp.

When I first started TRAINING Gyp I couldn't even use my voice running her in small sequences, now I can get excited and encourage her on course, so I know it will transfer to directionals in gambles, I just have to keep my cool, and talk in the "cute" voice Gyppie likes. I love this dog.

Her standard was really good, not awesome - a couple bad timing things on my part, but we got the 1st and Q, and her contacts, lines and weaves were great! Goal Achieved! We need those standard runs!

Her last gamble opening was awesome, and she had the most opening points - 45. We end again not great, she ended up knocking the first bar TWEET in the gamble and I pushed her WAAAAY to far, so far she ended up out of the ring. TWEET!

It was a great day and I learned alot, as I always do.

SUNDAY:
IN ATTENDANCE: Jane and Gyppie

Fun Match at Go!Dog!Go!, the girls had so much fun and ran fast and clean, it was nice top off to the weekend. We got home and had a 1 hour nap. Jane slept on my head, and Gyp at my side. 

THE END. . .

2 comments:

manymuddypaws said...

i can't beleive how well K is running- all summer he has been feeling great and it totally shows!

Jules said...

Wow, wat a busy weekend! Sounds like a blast.

It is so frustrating when you push your dog into an uncomfortable place, but it sounds like you and Gyp are making loads of progress.

The kids look very happy!