Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I'm not a Border Collie person ...

That is a phrase I used to say, before I knew the breed, and before I had one myself. They really are amazing dogs. The same reason I love my JRT and Flat-coat - they are still bred for working ability above and beyond anything else ... depending on the breeder and their goals etc. of course. There is nothing like seeing a working dog work!

I can now say after 3 years of having a BC, and taking a bigger interest in the breed ... Are you ready for this ... "I AM A BORDER COLLIE PERSON" And maybe someday, I'll get a real one :)

I drive an hour or two for 30 minute herding lessons for crying out loud. Meaning I spend more time in the car than I do working my dog. And she will never be a competition herding dog, so I am doing it just for the pure joy of seeing Gyp floss her teeth and do something together that is new to both of us. The more I write this, the more crazy I seem, don't I?

Anyways ... I played hookie from work on Friday hehe ... to watch the Canadian Border Collie National Championships.

I was thrilled when I was asked to design the logo, it's like a little piece of me is there :) I was going to put Gyp secretly on the shirt, but Jenny had the same thought as me - who would want to see a Sheltie on a Border Collie shirt :) It looks just awesome on the t-shirts and hats they did up.


Here are some photos of my day at the Trial. It was fun to see the dog s and handlers work the course. I could not believe the size of the field. crazy.
Jenny Glen and Lad on the field, there is a tiny speck at the top of the filed on the left, that is Lad, see next photo for the zoomed in version ...

Lad is the dog just above the sheep on right, the dog on the left is the dog who brings the sheep to the hill from where the main flock is kept, just over the top of that hill.

Here is a close-up of the guy on the horse. If there is a horse, I take a photo, it's what I do.
Even these Border Collies couldn't believe how far it was, see the intensity ...

This is Vicky Close's Drift (the dog on the end on the previous photo too), he didn't make eye contact with me once, he had his eye on the wooly prizes!

Little Craig and even my brother were even baffled, they sat there in amazement like the rest of us.

Then Craig remembered he was a puppy and decided paper towel was the best thing ever. yum!

So we stuck some sunglasses on him, because we thought they would suit him.
What a great way to spend a day!

7 comments:

manymuddypaws said...

craig is super cute! and yeah, I'm not a border collie person either. but there is something about their intensity and workability that gets ya...

Jules said...

That field is amazing. I would love to have a bc at some point, but have been firmly told N-O by my husband!

dogsandoldbones said...

People say to me...you drive 3-4 hours for a one hour lesson? Yeah I guess I do.

Craig is really cute!

gussysmom said...

I think you'd better rephrase your motto to "I'm not a Cat person" (or some other creature). I've never met a dog I didn't love! Your graphic is excellent design; it looks fantastic.

Deirdre said...

In that last photo it looks like Craig is in a high chair. lol

Judy said...

That is too cool Sarah! Gyppy looks like she would fit right in. Awesome Breed!

Loretta Mueller said...

I am so addicted to the breed it is NOT funny :) So I understand :)